The remains of John ‘Eyebrows’ Thomas can be found in Gulval Churchyard in Cornwall.
John was a local pirate and smuggler who operated from Marazion in Cornwall. At his death in 1753 Marazion parish refused to allow him to be buried in his home town, so his family were forced to pay Gulval to provide him with a final resting place instead.
His grave can still be found around the back of Gulval church. The grave stone is flat and easy to overlook, but features a distinctive skull and crossbones (with eyebrows) and intricate Latin writing.
Thank to Edward Williams, Silversmith of Lands End, for this interesting story.
(Click on photos to enlarge)